I had posted about live racing there
but now I think it is better to make a new, dedicated topic for it.
Following Nicco's advice (thank you) after a bit of talking, I have just created a group
which people interested in live racing can join. This should allow people to more easily find fellow players to race with.
Speedrunslive SMB page
This group purpose is to help SMB players organizing live races. If you would like to race SMB, come join our group !
What is a live race ? Here are the ingredients to a live race :
1. several players being present in the same place IRL or over the Internet (IRC is a good place to do so), at a given moment.
2. Rules. Eg. beat every level in world 2. Beat the game 'any %' (ie start from 1-1 and from there, beat Dr Foetus). Rules can be different from race to race and can be discussed.
3. Some sort of 'arbiter' who starts the race when everyone is ready, count points, etc. This is easy and IRC bots can do it for us.
4. When a player has reached the goal he tells it to this 'arbiter'. A player can of course give up any time in the race.
5. When everyone has finished a ranking is set.
Not mandatory :
(6.) Streaming. Streaming allows spectators to follow races in real time, which adds to the fun factor. There are good free tools to do this (check Speedrunslive 'tools' page. Personally I'd recommend xsplit).
(7.) If not streaming, there is always recording.
Is both a proof of the claimed performance (if needed), and a trace of the race. There are free or non-free tools to do this (eg FRAPS).
(9.) Commentators. Mostly for big races I suppose, but some races can be commented in real time.
10. FUN ! (this one is mandatory and can't be prevented :))
Since they already have a racing community and the ressources (website, ranking system, IRC channel, IRC bot) I suggest that to gather at #speedrunslive (see http://www.speedrunslive.com/
) when looking forward to racing SMB.
(I had to put this out of the quote tags for the link to work)