I'm toying with getting the PC version and using the level editor to create a 20 level chapter and just wanted some feedback first to see if what i'm planning would be a good idea.
My concept is more of a 'joke' chapter, not as in funny, but as in a deconstruction of the game and an arty demonstration of existentialist themes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism
. All levels would be visually extremely depressing, and primarilly shades of grey or black and white, using either 4 color meat boy throughout if he's usable separate from his tileset, or Tofu Boy.
Here's 13 examples, so more than half a chapter so far...
- A level where you must climb on a horizontal platform and do nothing but wait 5 minutes for it to slowly reach BG (Bandage Girl)
- A level where BG is immediately next to you on the left, but there is a huge abyss next to you on the right. There is no need to go down there, and it will kill you if you do, but the urge to jump will be powerful.
- A level where BG is easy to get to, but there are keys in the way, and it will take you longer to jump over the keys than to collect them. Each time you collect a key, an otherwise harmless Zombie Meat will drop onto spikes that will kill it. Killing them or leaving them will not effect the level one bit. Your choice, your conscience.
- You are on the outside of an amzingly fun and interesting looking level full of hazards and traps and bright colours and bandages, and you have no way of entering or experiencing it, ever. You must simply go around the outer wall. If it's possible, i'd also put a multitude of other playable characters inside having fun.
- A lift takes you up to BG, and it and the space in the column in as wide as you, meaning there is no possible way to not collect BG.
- There are 100 switches or keys that need to be hit or collected to reach BG. This will be extremely
- There are 2 BGs, both equal distances, both will finish the level. You have a choice, but of course both lead to the exact same outcome.
- Another remix of The Kid 1, an exact copy of Puberty from the Expert remix chapter, but with an alternate path that will allow you to completely bypass everything if you choose. There will be a timed door so if you take the easy path, your time will be virtually the same as someone who takes the hard path. Only you will know the truth.
- A really fun and complicated level, but BG is right next to you. You can save her until later and run through the level if you wish, but there is no purpose or reward.
- The opposite of Speck from the expert remix. The level would have an extremely
zoomed in camera. So much so that you could not see much more than Meat Boy, giving you a sense of claustrophobia and panic, and an urge to find BG quickly and end the level. It would be a very easy level and not possible to die on, but one made hard to navigate due to the camera.
- You spawn in mid air and fall down a shaft and land on BG. There are no walls, just lasers, so you cannot slow your fall, only hit BG or die. As a result, everybody on the leaderboard will have the exact same time as it will be impossible to do the level any faster or slower.
- The level is absolutely filled with hazards, except... none of them have any collision detection. The moral being that anxiety can paralyze you, but most worries are imaginary.
And the last level would be called Futility
. Now this might be controversial, but i'm toying with either making this level impossible to complete or impossible to A+. I know it won't let you upload the level if it is impossible, so i'd have some form of cheat where BG is hidden/invisible and moves to an impossible location soon after, so i'd have a method to finish it, but it would be virtually impossible for anyone else to unless they knew the trick.
By making the levels boring, easy or impossible, the chapter would be going against the whole point of the game, and would be more an art project than a 'real' chapter to make people think about certain things. It would however also appeal to the hardcore crowd as it'll take some serious masochism to make it through.
Any feedback? I'd also appreciate nobody ripping these ideas off too unless I decide I don't want to make it. I trust you guys. Don't upset the dibs God!